To never miss a blog follow via email:

Tuesday, February 28, 2017

10 Quotes that help indie authors to succeed




Quotes are meant to inspire us and to help us focus on our goals. Indie authors are no exception. Considering the stiff competition, we need to focus on our goals more than others. Here are 10 quotes that impressed my author friends. I am also inviting you to share your favorite quote in the comments. 


"Be yourself. Avoid self-censorship. Love your failures."  Clive Barker


I can't think of any better advice to people starting their career in writing. Certainly, worrying about what others may think or fear of failure is a specter that haunts many an author, but to impose your own morality on your characters will do them (and your readers) a disservice.

Ed Ryder, author of 'In Vitro Lottery'  @Ed_Ryder7




“Any work that aspires, however humbly, to the condition of art, should carry its justification in every line.”  – Joseph Conrad  


Conrad was talking about writing. If every line carries a striking image, a key phrase, an important kernel of meaning, and each line links well to the next, then strong paragraphs form. Paragraphs become pages, chapters, stories – then memories in the reader’s mind. To place those memories there, is why we write.

Paul Toolan, author of ‘A January Killing’ – @ptoolan1




“Yesterday is gone. Tomorrow has not come yet. We have only today. Let us begin.”   Mother Teresa


Past is past, learn what you have to with it and let it go, otherwise you’re not going to enjoy the beautiful things that are happening right in front of you. Live is too short for you to get stuck in your past. 

Don’t let what you want to do or what you want to say to someone for tomorrow, do it now. Live today as if there isn’t tomorrow. We never know what is going to happen.

Marcia Weber Martins, author of “Perfect Match” – @marcia_w_m 




“I try to leave out the parts that people skip.” Elmore Leonard


I admit it. I skip sections even in best selling novels. I love fast-paced reads: mystery, adventure, espionage, and action. If there’s too much ‘filler’ I skip paragraphs. I write what I want to read. This quote reminds me to be ruthless when editing my own works of fiction ultimately creating a better experience for the reader. 

Lynda Filler, author of 'TARGET in the SUN' - @LyndaMFiller 




'It's not about who I'm like, it's about who I am.' - Francis Cabrel


Discovering your own voice as a writer is often talked about but not so easy to do. This quote inspires me to develop my own style and my own genres. I want readers to say, ‘That’s a Jean Gill original’, not feel they’ve bought a cheap copy.

Jean Gill, author of 'Song at Dawn: 1150 in Provence (The Troubadours Quartet)' @writerjeangill





Don’t tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass - Anton Chekhov

I treasure this quote - in epic fantasy immersing the reader in the setting you create is paramount. It illustrates how to “show, don’t tell” in writing - don’t tell the reader what is happening, use words to show them the scene and leave their imagination to render it in their mind.

Adrian G Hilder, author of 'The General’s Legacy' - @AdrianGHilder





Shut up, he explained. - Ring Lardner

It’s an astonishing use of language for the word juxtaposition and meanings--a wild use of rudeness and consideration for the reader’s intelligence.
It reminds me to write judiciously but not overlook the improbable and perhaps weird. It is also unforgettable and startlingly funny!

Frank Daley, author of 'WHAT's YOUR PROBLEM? No Really, What IS Your Problem?' - @TheFrankDaley




“We are our own dragons as well as our own heroes, and we have to rescue ourselves from ourselves.” Tim Robbins


This has been one of my favorite quotes since I began publishing a few years ago. It sums up the entire journey to success for anyone. We are our own worst enemies and our harshest critics, and we must learn to love ourselves, accept ourselves, and believe in ourselves in order to find true success and happiness.

Traci Sanders, author of - "Living The Write Life" @tmsanders2014





"There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you." Maya Angelou


Angelou confirms my belief in the power of stories. Whether we are fiction or nonfiction authors or family members recalling memories for reminiscences or ethical wills, each of our stories enlightens the reader and gives new meaning to life and empowers the storyteller.


Flora Morris Brown, Ph.D., author of "Color Your Life Happy:Create Your Unique Path and Claim the Joy You Deserve" - @florabrown




"Don't wait. The time will never be just right."-Napoleon Hill


The quote reminds me to take action every day. When J. Canfield promoted his first Chicken Soup book, he pitched five radio stations per day; even after it was a bestseller. Eventually, he had seven books on the NYT bestseller list at the same time.  


Gisela Hausmann, author of 'BOOK MARKETING The Funnel Factor - @Naked_Determina




Please share your own favorite quote in the comments section. 
Inspire us! Then, share with others!

No comments:

Post a Comment