Friday, August 23, 2013

How do you pursue "happiness"?

#pursuit, #happiness, #overcoming, #biographies
[The content of this video is owned by third parties and they retain the right to any properties you are about to view]


Chances are you have seen this scene before...


It is from the movie "Pursuit of Happiness", telling the true story of Chris Gardner. Of course, all of us know that money can't buy happiness, but reaching your goal makes happy.

Have you ever been in the situation, that you had to pull off the impossible, and absolutely everything seemed to be stacked against you?

The film gives the answer on how to reach the goal:

  • Work (even if it involves running - ahem)
  • Determination (which includes to never give up) and
  • Wit (it is the sweetest way to show that you are smart)

When you first watched that scene, at the movies, in 2001, you probably fevered with Chris, hoped that he would make it, and when he did you felt exhilarated. 

After you left the movie theater you were wondering how he really did it.    

These days, all of us face problems, maybe not as bad as Gardner's, but we do encounter problems in our pursuit of happiness.

I know how that feels. Over the course of my life, more problems have found me that I bargained for. That started with the unexpected death of my husband. Not only did I become the sole parent but also the sole breadwinner, handy-man, shuttle service to school functions... and, I did not have a single relative in the entire U.S., who could help (other than my children).

Overcoming these enormous obstacles I have learned one thing: The best way to figure out what to do is to learn from people, who have done whatever it is you have to do. (ebooks are typically under $ 5.00 and videos on YouTube are free). 

Even though self-help is still very much en-vogue, it actually had its best days much earlier, when not too many biographies from self-made problem solvers were published. Most of us are too stressed to go through 12 steps programs, which leads to that we may delay or abandon the program. 

Life writes the most inspirational stories. Quite often it may be much more efficient to read a biography, read, how a real person solved his/her issues in real life!

Happy Getting Inspired!

~*~

Gisela Hausmann is author of the inspirational ebooks
"Naked Determination" (Bronze at the eLit-awards 2012) and 
"Why Do Cats Have Nine Lives" &
"Writing Great Emails is Not Art

BACK

RYX6ZF8QT9YW

If you enjoyed reading this blog please share below.

Copyright 2013 by Gisela Hausmann

7 comments:

  1. A fine blog, Gisela. You can always tell the "real" ones from the pretenders. You've been there, and most importantly, back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you @Christina
    I think the yet to be released movie "Diana" is going to break lose another series of discussions about this topic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this. You have me curious about the movie now. I am at a new stage of life where chasing new goals is important for me. Not just for myself, but as a role model for my children and grandchildren.
    Thanks for sharing about overcoming your own "enormous obstacles" with such honesty. It is something we all face.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gisela, I think we are (most of the time) too hard on ourselves. In this push and shove high tech world, things on our "to do" list need to get done faster. Setting goals appear to be pushed to the back burner due to the response of what is going on with the economy. People are so insecure, and fail to be able to find humor while handling so many things at one time. My faith takes me through so many things - I look up at the sky - and know that our Maker wants us to be happy with what we have but to have the strength to set goals and reach them, even if the world is big and scary. That is mostly how I pursue happiness - but I am also 66 years into this big, scary world - lessons learned! You make good points here in this discussion - which I enjoyed very much. Thanks, Angie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angie... I am just smiling... you are right and said it most beautifully

      Delete