Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Jobs, The Butler, Diana, and "Rush"

#accuracy, #movies, #NikiLauda, #Rush
[The content of this video is owned by third parties and they retain the right to any properties you are about to view]

It began harmless.

I went to the movies to see "Jobs - The Film"...

... to find out how good Ashton Kutcher would portray the man, who was famous for turning around and saying "but there's one more thing". While I am no fan of Ashton Kutcher I deeply believe that people try and quite often succeed to rise to the occasion when given an awesome opportunity. 

So, I bought my ticket and entered the actual theater. 

Though I could not see the screen yet I could hear the previews running.

I walked up the ramp leading to the screen. 

As the big screen got visible I stopped walking. 

I had never experienced anything like this "thing".

On the screen was a man I used to know, personally. I did not know him too well, but I had met him on three occasions. One time we had sat together at a late night dinner with a few mutual friends, for over an hour. While everybody else had had some kind of Italian pasta, he had eaten only blackberries, no whipped cream, no powdered sugar.  

It was the 3-time Austrian Formula 1 world champion Niki Lauda.

Niki Lauda is a legend in his own ranks (just like Steve Jobs). In 1976, during an accident at Nürburgring, Niki's head and hands got burned in a fire, 800+ degrees hot. Not only did Niki make it, 6 weeks later he was driving again. A year later he became world champion again. 

I had met Niki first in 1984, just briefly, at one of the parties in celebration of his 3rd champion title. Two years later, at the mentioned dinner I had found it fascinating that everything he said, seemed to lead to a goal. Every question Niki asked was result driven. He never even laughed once, during the entire dinner.

Here is the trailer




In the trailer is a scene, in which actor Daniel Brühl, who plays Lauda, says: "To be champion it takes more than just being quick. You have to really believe it." 

I can say with 100% certainty, it is a perfect portrayal of the Niki Lauda I knew. 

As life goes, I began spending most of my time in the United States before Niki's airline started flying to Australia, but ever since the dinner I knew that he could do it.  

Considering the raging debates whether the movies "Jobs", "The Butler", and the upcoming movie "Diana" portray their respective characters accurately, it is an interesting feeling that at least of one movie I will know for sure.   
~*~
But there is one more thing: 
Will "Rush" cause that feeling in all of us? 


~*~*~*~

Gisela Hausmann is the award-winning author of the inspirational ebook Naked Determination and 
most recently the motivational picture ebook "Why do Cats Have Nine Lives?"  

Ebook 'Naked Determination' is also selling at 

RYX6ZF8QT9YW

If you enjoyed reading this blog please share right below. Thank-you!

© 2013 by Gisela Hausmann, All rights reserved.

3 comments:

  1. I love F1 and admire both James Hunt and Niki Lauda immensely. It's art and emotion v/s science and determination which plays out time and time again in motor racing. It happened again later with Senna and Prost. Can't wait to see Rush next month.

    Very cool that you know Niki personally. He's in charge of Mercedes F1 now and has my favorite current driver - Lewis Hamilton.

    ReplyDelete
  2. David,
    I couldn't agree more with you.
    Still miss Ayrton Senna - it was so tragic...
    Your favorite, Lewis Hamilton, is in good hands.
    Way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete